Diabetes and Foot Health
Diabetes affects nearly every part of the body, and the feet are no exception. The combination of neuropathy (nerve damage) and poor circulation can lead to a range of foot problems that, if left unaddressed, can become serious health concerns. These problems include: neuropathic ulcers, charcot foot, infections, and slow healing. This article will outline the roll of ankle bracing when treating diabetic patients, and will outline four reasons why TayCo Brace provides the best ankle bracing solution for diabetic patients.
The Role of Ankle Bracing
Ankle bracing is a crucial part of foot care for diabetic patients. By providing stability and support, ankle braces like the TayCo Brace help to:
- Reduce Pressure Points: Ankle braces can distribute the weight more evenly across the foot, reducing pressure points that can lead to ulcers. Our research study from Creighton University shows the benefits of bracing on the COP in patients.
- Stabilize Joints: Ankle braces offer support to the ankle joint, helping to prevent injuries and sprains, which can be especially problematic for those with neuropathy. Our study from the University of Notre Dame shows our support of Inversion-Eversion Movements vs the Walking Boot, helping to further stabilize joints.
- Protect Against Further Damage: In cases of injury or deformity, an ankle brace can protect the foot and ankle from further harm, preventing the condition from worsening.
- Improve Mobility: The TayCo Brace, in particular, offers the advantage of fitting outside a patient’s shoe, allowing for greater mobility and a more comfortable experience compared to traditional walking boots or in shoe AFOs. Our research study by Ball State University Biomechanics shows the improved mobility acquired using our brace during walking and negotiating stairs.
To review all our research studies click here.
Why TayCo Brace is the Best Ankle Bracing for Diabetic Patients
The Acute XAB, Custom, and RecoverX Braces are game-changers for diabetic patients. Here are a few reasons why we are the best ankle bracing solution for diabetic patient care:
- Functional Alternative: Unlike clunky, traditional walking boots or Irritating in shoe AFOs the TayCo Brace is a discreet and functional alternative. It can be worn outside the shoe, making it a less intrusive and more practical choice for daily life without causing soft tissue damage.
- Easy to Wear: Our braces are designed to be easy to put on and worn outside of your shoe without constricting the patient’s foot/ankle or causing discomfort. This makes them optimal for combining with a patient’s diabetic shoe, and can be easily donned in less than 1-minute to help stabilize the foot/ankle while walking in addition to eliminating pressure points.
- Improved Mobility: The brace is designed with patient comfort in mind, allowing for a better overall experience while still providing the necessary support.
- Options for All Needs: The RecoverX Brace is an off-the-shelf solution for patients who need immediate relief while wearing their own shoes while the Acute XAB can be customized by a physician to fit a patient’s calf and foot. If a diabetic patient requires even more customization (such as patients dealing with Diabetic Charcot), the Custom Brace can be made through photos, casts, or scans to meet any need.
For diabetic patients, taking care of your feet is paramount. TayCo Brace offers a solution that can make a real difference in the lives of those dealing with diabetes-related foot issues. Ankle bracing, in general, plays a crucial role in managing and preventing complications associated with diabetes. Don’t wait until problems arise – take proactive steps to protect your feet and maintain your mobility with the TayCo Brace. Elite care for better results.